Roundtable discussion: Can Europe afford to lose its metals?
Towards an effective Circular Economy for raw materials.
Is the European recycling infrastructure sufficient for providing metals and other raw materials in support
of the business models of a Circular Economy (CE)? How can we secure the raw materials supply
for production in Europe and enhance resource efficiency when dealing with scarce resources? Due to
the pivotal role of metals a primary focus has to be laid on this sector.
On behalf of the German Resource Research Institute GERRI we are pleased to invite you to attend the
first GERRI roundtable discussion on research, industry and markets issues within the European raw materials
sector. We will be discussed the fact that if the resources and processing infrastructures are not present, the
ideals of a CE will not be realized. In other words, without a metals industry there will be no CE. Moreover, by
removing any metallurgical capacity the Wheels of CE will stop turning.
When: 26th of February 2019 from 10am to 1pm
Where: Representation of the State of Hessen to the EU in Brussels
Rue Montoyer 21
Contact: Dr. Claudia Güth
+49 6023 32039 869
Please register by e-mail or use the following link
We look forward to welcoming you in Brussels!
Please note that seating is limited. We therefore kindly ask you to register by 19th February 2019.
List of Participants
- Reinhard Bütikofer, MEP, ITRE, Green Party (co-chairman), member of the management board to the Green European Foundation (GEF)
- Lieve Wierinck, MEP, ITRE, ALDE
- Gwenole Cozigou, Director Dir C, DG-GROW, European Commission
- José Rizo Martin, Senior Expert Dir B, DG-ENV, European Commission
- Peer Hoth, Head of Division, Federal Ministry for Economic Affairs and Energy
- Markus Reuter, Director Helmholtz Institute for Ressource Technology Freiberg, Helmholtz-Zentrum Dresden - Rossendorf e.V. (HZDR)
- Daniel Goldmann, Director Mineral and Waste Processing, Technical University Clausthal
- Peter Buchholz, Director German Mineral Resources Agency (DERA) at the Federal Institute for Geosciences and Natural Resources (BGR)
- Rudolf Stauber, COO Fraunhofer Project Group IWKS
- Hans-Jürgen Wachter, Exec. Vice President Technology & Scouting, Heraeus Deutschland GmbH & Co. KG & Board Member EIT Raw Materials
- Andreas Nolte, Director Quality and Energy Management, Aurubis AG
- Christian Hagelüken, Director EU Government Affairs, Umicore AG & Co KG
- Charlotte Geerdink, Charly Speaks